The Grooming Manual
If you’re a guy with skin, you’ve dealt with pimples, zits, breakouts, and other acne related woes. It’s part of life - and for most men it doesn’t just magically disappear once you escape adolescence. Research shows that guys well into their adult years continue to struggle with acne breakouts.
Unfortunately, a lot of men develop bad skincare habits in their youth that only exacerbate their acne problems later in life. Are you a popper? Sure, there’s something uniquely satisfying about watching the gunk ooze out of a freshly popped pimple. But that’s no way to treat your acne breakouts if you want to look your best, limit scars, and minimize breakouts.
Instead of scratching away at your acne or using harsh products that will wind up doing more harm than good, consider these tips for dealing with an acne breakout.
Use Acne Preventing Skincare Products
The best way to deal with an acne breakout is to prevent it from ever happening. While that’s not always possible, an acne prevention skincare routine for men can make a big difference. Your complete anti-acne routine should include:
- Face Wash - A daily acne face wash for men will help eliminate the bacteria that clog your pores and lead to blemishes. Use it twice daily - in the morning and before bed - for the best results.
- Face Moisturizer - After using your acne face wash, follow up with an acne face moisturizer for men that hydrates your skin while also reducing inflammation and preventing acne. It should combine acne fighting ingredients - like willow bark extract and tea tree oil - with hydrating ingredients - like vitamin E. To get the best results, moisturize twice daily immediately after washing your face.
Choose Natural Ingredients That Are Gentle But Effective
Some brands cram their acne creams full of harsh, skin drying ingredients. Sure, they dry out pimples and have some acne reducing effects. But in the process they also dry out your skin and leave it irritated. That’s counter productive and unnecessary.
To avoid the unwanted side effects of harsh ingredients, use acne care products for men with gentle but effective natural ingredients, such as:
- Salicylic Acid - Choose a formula with 2% concentration for the best results. Salicylic acid is a BHA (beta-hydroxy acid) that eliminates skin debris, unclogs pores, and clears up acne. It’s especially effective at fighting blackheads and whiteheads.
- Tea Tree Oil - This natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial ingredient reduces acne-related irritation and helps reduce the frequency and severity of breakouts.
- Witch Hazel - Its high level of tannins give it anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that have been well researched. You can find it in face toner for men where it helps reduce oil and bacteria - two elements that contribute to acne breakouts.
- Green Tea - Apart from tasting great, green tea can contribute to reduced acne breakouts when included as a skincare ingredient. It is high in antioxidants, reduces inflammation, and fights bacteria.
- Aloe Vera - This wonder-plant offers powerful hydration, is antimicrobial, and reduces the inflammation that is so common with acne breakouts.
Be Prepared with a Spot Treatment
A spot treatment is a concentrated product that you use just on the blemish itself, not on your entire face. The goal is elimination of an already formed pimple, not the general prevention of acne. Because of that, use just a small amount on the affected area. At the very most, apply your acne spot treatment twice daily. Don’t overdue it - that could lead to irritation that aggravates the situation instead of making it better.
Make Preventing Acne Part of Your Lifestyle
Acne happens to everyone. But you can reduce its effect in your life by making smart choices everyday. Use the best acne control products for men - including a daily face wash and moisturizer - to minimize the chances of a major breakout. And when you do notice blemishes, act quick with an acne spot treatment.
With the right products and ingredients, you can be confident that acne won’t damage your appearance or keep you from living your best life.