How to Choose the Best Skin Toner for Men
Guys - want to take better care of your skin? If so, skin toner is a must. You can use it as part of a basic skincare routine or as a complementary step in a complete skincare regimen.
But what is skin toner? What are some common skin toner ingredients? Is skin toner right for your skin type? And how can you choose the best skin toner for men?
What Is the Purpose of Skin Toner?
Toner for men offers several benefits for your skin. Here are just a few:
- Balances skin pH and skin tone. When your skin’s pH gets off balance, the results are bad: more inflammation, greater risk for blemishes, and faster developing wrinkles. Harsh chemical soaps and detergents damage your skin’s acid mantle, leading to unbalanced pH levels. Guys with oily skin are most likely to struggle with maintaining balanced skin pH levels.
- Controls oil production to reduce shine. If you’ve got oily skin, you know all about slick, sweaty, shiny skin. Excess oil production gives your skin a glossy sheen and puts you at risk for acne breakouts. Face toner for men helps limit oil production and gives your skin a healthy, matte appearance.
- Enhances the results of serums and moisturizers. Once your skin’s pH is balanced and excess oil has been removed, any serums and moisturizers you apply will absorb more easily and be more effective.
- Unclogs and minimizes the appearance of pores. Skin toner for men reduces inflammation, eliminates redness, and removes pore-clogging impurities. That makes your pores less noticeable and reduces your chance of having an acne breakout.
Who Should Use Skin Toner for Men?
A face toner for men with no alcohol or oil is beneficial for all skin types. And toner is especially important for men. Why?
According to The International Dermal Institute, the differences between men’s and women’s skin include “thickness, collagen density, loss of collagen as we age, texture and hydration.” Testosterone also plays a role in why “a man’s skin is about 25 percent thicker than that of a woman’s.”
What about oil (sebum) production? “Sebum production is greater in males than in females, which is attributed to androgen secretions and accounts for why men have longer lasting acne.”
Is Toner Only for Guys with Oily Skin?
Since men have more oily skin and are at higher risk for acne, using skin toner for men is important. That’s true even if you have “normal” skin - just be sure you’re not using a harsh toner with alcohol, menthol, or similar ingredients (more on specific ingredients below) since they can dehydrate and irritate your skin.
Guys with oily skin will benefit from the cleaning properties of this product, and guys with normal skin will love the cool and refreshing feel of a toner.
Best Skin Toner for Men Ingredients
Above all, avoid skin toners that contain alcohol or oil. That may seem surprising since many cheap products available in local supermarkets and drug stores are made with alcohol. What’s the issue?
Yes alcohol is an astringent. Yes, it is antiseptic. But no, you do not want it on your skin.
Alcohol dries out your skin and, ironically, can lead to excess oil production. That’s the exact opposite goal of a skin toner. You want a product with ingredients that will control oil without throwing off your skin’s pH or leading to dehydration.
For ideal results, use the best skin toner for men. This will still contain an astringent - which tightens body tissue - but won’t overly-dry your skin. This ingredient’s goal is to reduce oil production and give your skin a matte appearance. A hydrating product should also contain ingredients that leave your skin refreshed, not just dry and tight. Here are the ingredients you'll find in our Balancing Toner.
This natural, mild astringent reduces inflammation and oil build up. Part of its astringent properties come from the plant’s leaves and bark which contain up to 10% tannins. It’s gentler than alcohol without the dehydrating effects.
Witch hazel works by breaking down dead skin and oil that has collected on your face. It cleans out your pores and leaves your skin refreshed. Studies have shown its anti-inflammatory benefits and positive effects - even on sensitive skin.
A 2011 study found that cucumber offers a “pronounced decrease in skin sebum content” and “anti-acne effects”.
Cucumbers contain Vitamin K (which contributes to skin elasticity), help balance your skin’s pH level, and soothe irritated skin. Toners with this ingredient offer a refreshing, cooling effect.
Research shows that peppermint oil will “reduce redness of inflamed skin, reduce itchiness and cool down the skin with its vasoconstrictor properties.”
Peppermint oil is antibacterial, thus contributing to lower risk of developing acne. It gives toner a nice tingle too.
Aloe has been used since ancient times to hydrate, heal, and protect the skin.
How to Apply Skin Toner
Applying our Balancing Toner is simple and only takes about 1 minute.
- Shake the bottle to ensure it’s mixed properly.
- Spray a small amount of toner directly onto your face. If you prefer, you can spray it onto a cotton ball and use that to apply the toner to your skin.
- After application, pat the oily parts of your skin to ensure you’ve covered them well. For most guys the T-zone is the problem area for acne and oil - that’s your forehead and down the bridge of your nose.
- Wait for your face to air dry completely before applying other products.
How to Add Toner to Your Skincare Routine
Already follow a daily skincare routine? Adding our Balancing Toner will enhance your results. Here’s how to make toner a part of your skincare regimen.
Apply face toner for men once daily in the morning after washing and/or exfoliating your skin. After it has dried completely, apply daytime face serum for men and face moisturizer for men as per your normal skincare routine.
How Often Should You Use Toner?
Even if you have oily skin, you don’t need to use toner for men more than once each day. That will ensure you get good results without any over-drying. You’ll notice that your serum and moisturizer will absorb more easily after using toner - that’s because you’ve balanced your pH and your oil levels are in check.
As an alternative, you can also use your toner post-shave to help prevent clogged pores and ingrown hairs. You may have heard that women use toner after removing makeup - the same principle applies post-shave. It will clear out your pores of any bacteria that could cause irritation, redness, itch, or blemishes. If you use toner this way, be sure to moisturize afterwards with a hydrating, alcohol-free aftershave.
Enjoy the Benefits of Skin Toner for Men
If you have oily skin and want the best looking skin possible, make our Balancing Toner part of your skincare routine. It only takes about a minute to apply and dry each morning - so it’s a small investment for a big return. Your skincare products will be more effective. You’ll cut down on oily shine. And you’ll prevent future acne blemishes.
Don’t just grab any product off the store shelf and assume you’ll get great results. You want to get the best toner for men with gentle yet effective ingredients. That way you’ll get all the benefits without the over-drying effects of low quality products.