5 Easy Ways to Get Thicker Hair
Whether you're fighting hair loss or simply looking for a thicker, fuller mane, there are certain tips and best practices that can help you meet your goals.
Here's everything you need to know.
1. Stick to a Healthy Haircare Routine
First things first: if you want thicker, healthier hair, you have to stick to a comprehensive hair care routine. That means avoiding bad-for-your-hair ingredients like silicones, sulfates, and synthetic fragrances -- which can cause irritation, lead to product build-up, and even suffocate hair follicles. Instead, opt for hair-strengthening, nourishing ingredients like:
- Hydrolyzed wheat protein, which increases strand thickness and strengthens the hair’s underlying structure
- Amino acids, which restore shine and increase follicle volume
- Vitamin E, which stimulate the scalp and encourage hair growth
- Essential oils - like peppermint and tea tree - that relieve irritation, banish bacteria, and get rid of flakes
- Hydrating ingredients - like organic aloe, borage oil, and avocado - to moisturize, encourage growth, and reduce breakage and inflammation.
And remember, it’s all about consistency. Use these nourishing products every time you wash and make sure to skip other hair-damaging habits like using high-heat styling tools or excessively rough brushing.
Don't know where to begin? We recommend you start with a strengthening shampoo for men, a revitalizing hair conditioner for men, and an effective, good-for-your-hair styling product (you can find all three here).
2. Stimulate Circulation
Damaged, undernourished hair will never be thick hair. That’s why it’s important your hair is as healthy as possible.
To this end, scalp care can be more important than you think. Your scalp is essentially the soil from which your hair grows. It contains a rich microbiome of natural bacteria and fungi that encourage healthy skin and hair growth.
If your scalp is dry or has excessive product build-up, it could disturb that microbiome, suffocate your hair follicles, or make any hair that does grow appear weak and damaged.
That’s why you need scalp-nourishing hair ingredients like peppermint and tea tree oil. You can also stimulate circulation by lathering in circular motions as you wash. This will increase blood flow in the area and, over time, encourage healthier, stronger hair growth.
3. Use Volumizing Products
It’s not just about avoiding ingredients that are bad for your hair. You have to stick to those that encourage volume, thickness, and shine.
This largely comes down to the styling products you use. Choose products that increase volume and texture in the hair, like:
- A strong hold texturizing pomade with volumizing, oil-absorbing ingredients like kaolin clay
- A texturizing spray formulated with sea salt to absorb oil, enhance waves, and build volume
- A flexible hold wax pomade with beeswax for an all-day, flexible hold.
Steer clear of overly-hydrating creams or conditioners. While these moisturize the hair, they also weigh it down.
4. Mind Your Haircuts and Hair Washing
If you don’t cut your hair regularly, it’ll be more prone to breakage and damage over time. This happens as strands rub against hats, bed sheets, and other surfaces. That’s why you need regular haircuts, even if it’s just a micro-trim to clean up your ends.
Over-washing your hair can cause problems too. It strips away your hair’s natural oils and depletes its moisture. That’s why most guys should only use shampoo every other day or every third day (depending on how oily or dry your hair and scalp are). This will help balance your hair and maintain its health over time.
5. Consider Your Nutrition
Lastly, remember that when it comes to hair care (and skincare), what you put inside is just as important as what you lather on the outside. To this end, make sure that you’re drinking enough water and eating foods that encourage healthy hair growth, like:
- Nuts and seeds
- Fatty fish like salmon
With the best hair care routine for men and a lifestyle that encourages healthy hair, you can be confident your hair looks great everyday.